Wednesday, October 9, 2013

How I Learned Tailoring---An Amazing Story!

Hello Everyone! Quick Announcement-For those of you who ordered my DVD please be on the lookout. Those were mailed a few days ago and are on the way to you. There's still time to get my Alteration DVD for 50% off. I'm running that special ALL month long. See more details at my last post HERE.

Many of you have asked how I got my start in sewing. Well I wanted to share my unique experience with you in my own words. I was truly blessed to get my training at the High School level at a specialty school in lower Manhattan named the High School of Fashion Industries. I was superbly trained back then and emerged ready to go straight into industry. I guess with being a Master Tailor people assume that I went on to higher levels of education but truth be told as I tell everyone else "I'm just a Brother with a High School Education" but I have to admit it's an unique one at that (smile). I was very fortunate to have such a wonderful high school experience! Here a little more about my experience in this video. Please forgive the quality. I didn't realize the camera zoom function was so loud. Also enjoy some additional year book photos below. Hopefully this will give you a better idea of my humble beginnings and why I LOVE tailoring. I've truly been "married to the industry" for 50+ years and I've loved every minute of it!!!



Here's a Sneak peek into my yearbook..... check out the yearbook photo captions to see the types of classes offered. There was shoemaking, millnery, tailoring, upholstering etc---you name it in addition to our regular core classes--we still had to learn math, science, etc (smile)! My High School was a pretty unique place!




(Bet you can't spot me. Hint: I'm on the 2nd row)







Hope you enjoyed taking a walk down memory lane with me. I sure did enjoy sharing a part of my story and hopefully you have a better idea now of my roots. I'm so thankful to have had the education I've had. It was a good solid foundation to build off of. I encourage you to do the same. Take classes, read and build off of the sewing/tailoring information you know. In doing so you'll work toward perfecting your craft. It doesn't always take alot of fancy degrees and lots of years of schooling (nothing wrong with that at all) but better than those things is the determination to make it in the industry. If you're equipped with that you can't help but go far. I'm living proof. Thanks for your listening ear:)

~Jim McFarland






10 comments:

  1. I'm guessing you are the last student on the right. They really should do that at more high schools. It sounds like a fantastic idea to give kids a feel for an industry they might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm standing right next to the Track coach:)

      Delete
  2. I am really looking forward to receiving my DVD, thanks so much for shipping internationally.
    What a great High School you went to, how blessed you were. They need to have such schools today, as we are all gifted differently.
    I am guessing that you are third from the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Ronniie! Can't wait til' you receive it. You were close, I'm the 2nd on the right, right next to the track coach:)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing that and it was right on time since I have been feeling a little down from people not supporting me in my choice of having a sewing related business.
    One question or two, did you pick that high school and did you know at that time you wanted to be a tailor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story Mr. McFarland! I am a graduate of the High School of Fashion Industries 1991. I'm currently a college professor of statistics, but the skills I learned at fashion have allowed me to express myself in a creative way outside of my current profession and I'm forever grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this video and photos from your yearbook. It is truly a pleasure getting to know you, Mr. Jim. Second from the right -- the eye brows are the clue for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. I love reading your stories. I received your dvd in NZ so quickly I couldn't believe it. I have only watched the first disc and have learned so much already. Can't wait to get onto the next one :-)

    ReplyDelete