Sunday, August 18, 2013

3 Fundamental Sewing Tasks

In the world of tailoring sewing is comprised of 3 fundamental tasks. If you do these 3 things exceptionally well then you will never have less than stellar results. Sewing really isn’t all that complicated. When it comes down to it it’s all about technique. When you use the right techniques you get the right results. Sewers really have to change the way they look at sewing. I understand how easy it is to get distracted with all of the details that comprise sewing. But it’s always important to come back to the 3 fundamental tasks.  Are you ready for them??? I’m about to Wow your socks off! Here goes…..

3 Fundamental Sewing tasks….
1.     Sew a straight line.
2.     Insert zippers.
3.     Sew in pockets.

Something tells me you were expecting fireworks (smile). You see, there’s no real magic to all of this.  When I teach my students these are some of the first tasks they learn. No matter how experienced with sewing they are I make them all start off by sewing a straight lines. From that they learn the importance of controlling their fabric and accurate sewing. This is no trivial task. This is the cornerstone of good sewing! Then I teach them how to insert zippers---both invisible and lapped. Once they've gotten that technique down then they learn how to insert pockets. They learn how to create welt and besom pockets. Once they've gotten good at these fundamentals and move on to sewing pants or a jacket they discover that they've learned most all they needed and will build off of it. Again in the world of tailoring if you do these 3 tasks very well you’ll find that overall you’ll sew exceptionally well. 

9 comments:

  1. Good advice for me because I struggle with zippers and pockets. This will be my starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both Robin!!! Exactly the thought that went through my mind... I can manage a straight seam, truly. But zippers and pockets.... well... they need a bit of fine-tuning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I treat every pocket and zipper sewn as practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this simplified advice! It's helpful to know which skills to master!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! Simple, clear, and makes a lot of sense. Thankyou :-) I'm teaching a friend to sew at the moment and she's getting pretty good with the straight lines; I've persuaded her that learning to sew in a zip is a very good skill to have too. Never thought of pockets and the skills involved in them though. I think she might run for the hills if I mention welt pockets! But, all in good time I think.

    I'm enjoying your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Info. I am truly enjoying your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the advice. This is great info...Time to practice pockets..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post. I am really enjoying your writing. Lately I have been making little zippered cases, practicing practicing practicing inserting zippers. Reminding myself to slow down slow down slow down. I know I have a long way to go, but with your encouragement and guidance, along with my practice, I think I'll get there. Thanks again, Gentleman Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was really interesting to know, I have been sewing but I feel as though each project is a first and that I am still learning. So this information is a great blessing. But I do have a few questions about the three fundamental sewing task. How many times do you practice the straight lines? And what do you use to put pockets in for practice? Do you make garments or just scraps of fabric to practice. And zippers to what do you use for your students to practice with? How many times do you have them to do it?

    ReplyDelete