Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Video Tutorial: How to Add Waistband, Ban Roll and Clamp Hook and Eyes to Trousers

Hello Everyone, here is my latest video tutorial. I told you I would provide helpful information to show you how tailor's deal with various aspects of clothing construction. This video picks up by showing you how I completely sew on my waistbands on trousers. The trousers, pockets and fly front have already been sewn up and the front and back of pants are only sew up on the side seams (inseam to back seam left open). You'll see how I apply the waistband, add Ban Roll (to stabilize it), add the clamp hook and eyes (not the sew-in kind) and finish it all up. The video is in 2 parts below. The only thing not show in me pressing the waistband over the ban roll.

Ready to view???? Wait just one more thing to clarify.....

As I mentioned above the back pants seam is left open.   I DO NOT sew the back seam of the pants until after I check the waist measurements and apply the waistband. Then I sew the back seam and waistband in one step, flip over the waistband and sew down. Alot of home sewers are instructed to sew one piece waistbands but as most of you know the back seam of pants is often an area where fit problems occur.  I always sew a 2 piece waistband since this is often an area on both men and women's pants that require alteration. You'll find that most high end pants are also constructed in this way. Also, I used the 1 1/4" Ban-roll in Women's Trousers. Remember I blogged about Ban-Roll HERE.

 Ok, here's the 2 videos. I hope these are really helpful to you. Please forgive the dark background at times. Next time I'll make sure to have a bit more light.


----Took a short break to go press the waisband over the ban-roll-----



Hope you enjoyed the videos and found them helpful. Let me know what you think!


13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us. I enjoy everything you've shown us and taught us. You should do a Craftsy class on men's pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome video. Very helpful info on trouser waistbands, which I'm working on right now, coincidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am learning so much from you and your dvd is on my wishlist for my brithday....so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous videos - so kind of you to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, both helpful and very enjoyable to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with BConky's comment above - it would be amazing to have you teach a class on Craftsy - I'd definitely buy that - and those of us who can't learn from you in person can at least enjoy a class from you. I've learned so much in these videos - seeing techniques actually done makes it so much easier to learn than seeing pictures in a book for me. Thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful knowledge. It is very, very much appreciated! You have a loyal follower here!

    Laura - Dublin, Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the videos! Thank you so much for posting them!! I too had thought about how great it would be to have you do a Craftsy class. I am learning so much from your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the videos immensely and Thanks for sharing your Awesome Techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved these videos and love the blog. thankyou so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing these amazing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! It is wonderful that you have taken of your precious time to help others! I appreciate this very much indeed, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I got a pair of deep blue tailored trousers for my sister’s wedding ceremony from Herringbone & Sui. I really like the fit; just perfect!


    2. There is nothing better than a pair of perfectly tailored trousers and a well-fitting shirt for a special occasion.

    ReplyDelete