Monday, November 11, 2013

Paying Tribute to my Mentor--Part I


Hello Everyone! It's that time of year where I like to really reflect over all the blessings I've had throughout my 69 years! I'm thankful to have a wonderful family, friends and YOU!!!! I'm also blessed that I've had to spend the last 50+ years Tailoring, something I love with all my heart! Well in my reflection I can't help but think of all who helped influence me and get me to where I am in my career today. His name is Orie Walls and he was mentor and friend, dramatically shaping me as a business man and tailor. I write about him in my biography "Across 125th Street" which is the reference to where I worked in Orie's Tailoring shop which was within close proximity to the legendary Apollo theater. During this time I had the privilege of learning how a tailoring business worked and working with famous stars such as James Brown, Jackie Robinson, the Isley Brothers, etc.

(My mentor Orie Walls)

I'd love to share with you the story about Orie and some of my adventures working for him but I will save some of that for the next post. What I want to emphasize is the importance of mentorship. How important it is to pour into the lives of others and to have someone to do the same for you. The implications are life changing!!! I ran across this article that sums it up nicely http://www.careerstonegroup.com/z-media/wp-mentoring.pdf
 and gives helpful information if anyone is interested in finding or becoming a mentor.

Again, I don't know how my life would've been different if I hadn't met Orie. What I do know is that my life has been rich because of it!!!! So I pay tribute to him this month.

If you're interested in reading my biography I'm running a special for the month. Get an Autographed copy of my autobiography "Across 125th Street: Where the Magic was Real" is on SALE for $15 (plus $4.95d/h) U.S. residents, all others outside the US please email me your address for a Paypal invoice reflecting international shipping rate of $14.50. You'll find it in the PayPal cart on the left. This book chronicles my tailoring adventures in NYC during the 60's and 70's.

Take care and I hope you're having a lovely week!!!

1 comment:

  1. How lovely that you have remembered your mentor, and shared memory of him with us. We can certainly be without direction if we do not have someone to lead us when we are just starting out. Thanks for sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete